It must be a sign of serious addiction…

I hope you’ve all been enjoying a wonderful Christmas! Here in Sweden we always celebrate on Christmas Eve, and not Christmas Day as most of the world does. So we had our celebration yesterday. It was a relaxed day at home. My grandmother is here and also two friends of ours. We had a delicious dinner with all the good things we usually have for Christmas (not a typical or traditional Swedish Christmas meal, since that has few dishes without meat). We all dressed up nicely and ate until we couldn’t force down another bite (almost). Then we opened some presents and the rest of the evening we spent working on this big 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle. It’s still not quite done.

Today the weather is slightly warmer over here, which consequently means that the snow is a lot more “formable” (I believe that’s not a word), so it’s possible to make snowballs and build stuff with it. Which I did. And I’m going to show you some pictures of what I made.

Here she is, my Regency snow”man”.
Regency snow"man"

And a closer view.

Regency snow"man"

From the back.

Regency snow"man"

And a profile one.

Regency snow"man"

This was a fun little project I thought. And I am rather pleased with how she turned out.

15 Responses to It must be a sign of serious addiction…

1. Jenny says:

Absolutely amazing! Fabulous!! πŸ™‚ We only have “snowball snow” for a couple of days in October and a few days in April, otherwise our snow is too dry and powdery to form into any sort of shape. I love your Regency snow person! I will keep this in mind for spring.

2. Jenny says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I hope you are having a wonderful day! Thank you for you the e-card. It was really lovely. πŸ™‚ Sorry I have not sent you a reply yet, our household has been ill off and on for the past two weeks so it’s been a little bit hectic. Thankfully, everyone is back to normal (it might be debated that we were never “normal” to begin with!) in time for Christmas. We had brunch with family this morning and opened stockings and gifts. Late this afternoon we’ll congregate at my parents’ place with more family and friends for Christmas dinner. Yay!

3. Rebecca says:

Dear Aurora,
    You brilliant girl! I’m envious that I didn’t think of crafting Miss Austen in snow. Now I shall have to pay you the highest compliment and attempt an imitation of your genius in the 15 inches of snow that fell yesterday and lingers on…

Best wishes,
    Rebecca

4. Lily says:

Aurora,

Wow! I am definitely impressed! She looks wonderful, but I especially love the hair! πŸ™‚ Now you should try more eras! πŸ˜‰

I’ve been enjoying the constant snowfall today, even though it hasn’t quite covered all the grass, we finally have some! Our Christmas started out grey and rainy, but after lunch, the snow started and we were able to have a white Christmas. πŸ™‚ Snow looks much more festive than rain!

I had to smile about your comment that it finally warmed up enough to form the snow, unfortunately, the past few years in IL have yielded barely enough snow to even form! πŸ™ I remember much more snow when I was little, I hope we’ll have enough to make snowmen this year!

Lily

5. Alyssa W. says:

You are so creative – I especially like her hair! Now you need to make a Regency gentleman for her. πŸ™‚
    ~Alyssa

Thank you all for your sweet comments! I’m very happy that you like my outwardly very cold Regency lady! I’m rather sorry to have to report that she seems to have lost her head today. It’s most sad really…!

I was planning to make a gentleman for her, as you suggested Alyssa. But if the weather forecast is correct it won’t be possible to make any more snow people in the nearest future. It’s going to turn very cold again. I’m not really sure how I would make a gentleman anyway, it seems trickier than a lady, since he can’t have a skirt.
    As Lily suggested I have also been thinking about trying some other era. I’d really like to do a Victorian one. We’ll see when it is possible again. πŸ™‚

Thank you Jenny! I am very happy to hear from you! Glad you enjoyed the card, and that your Christmas was a nice one! Please don’t feel bad about not having written. I myself have been really busy of late and am way behind with a lot of my correspondence (something I am very ashamed of, since it’s not like me at all!) and I can only imagine that with three little kids it must be even harder to find the time you need for letter writing. However I do look forward to hearing from you whenever you get the time! πŸ™‚

So you don’t get a lot of snow Lily? I had some idea that where you live you did get quite a bit of it. But I am quite sure you know more on that subject than I do so I believe you. πŸ˜‰ I’m glad to hear you were able to have a white Christmas at least. I was thrilled that we had it here! In my opinion Christmas should be white! πŸ™‚

Thank you Rebecca! That is indeed the highest compliment! I hope you had enough snow to make one too, and I hope you’ll share pictures if you did! And thank you again for the post you wrote, I really appreciate it!

7. I just found your blog, but I think I will be back! just from your title, I gather we have a lot in common. lol

Your snow-person is very well sculpted. Good job! :o)

At my house, we spend Christmas Eve together, but spend Christmas Day with our extended family. It is very fun!

~~Allison Elizabeth

Welcome Allison Elizabeth!

I’m glad you found your way here! I am always delighted to make new acquaintances who share this love of Jane Austen and similar things with me! I had a quick look at your blog and I agree, it does look like we have a lot in common. πŸ™‚

9. Laura says:

That is SO awesome! I am inspired to try making an unusual snowman… it’s been quite a while since I’ve gotten that creative.

Merry Christmas!

Thank you Laura! I’ve always liked making snowmen, but I was a little tired of making “traditional” ones. So I decided to try something new. πŸ™‚ If you do decide to make something too I hope you’ll share some pictures. πŸ™‚

11. Jennifer Devine says:

This is the first Regency snow woman I have ever seen. I like her very much. Nice sculpting.

12. I’ve been so busy, I meant to comment too… you have amazing skill with your snow carving, Aurora! I’m very impressed! πŸ˜€

BTW, it just snowed again here in Maryland, but this time we only got about 3 inches. πŸ™‚

Thank you both so much! πŸ˜€

14. Camilla says:

Dearest Aurora, thank-you so much for the e-card, I loved it! I had fondly hoped to send you one too, but my computer jammed up every time I tried to send it off! Did my letter reach you in Sweden? I hope so! Incidentally, I was totally stunned by the quality and detail to your snow-woman! How clever that was of you!!! You’re very skilled with your hands! Snowman-making, sewing… Wow!!! Well, I hope you have a great new year! Love, Camilla

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the card!
    Yes I did receive your lovely letter! Thank you so much! I was delighted to get it, and I have started working on a reply, but it isn’t done yet.
    You flatter me with your kind comments about my snow person. πŸ™‚ Thank you!

I’ll talk to you soon!