Finally today I was able to finish it! And I will say that I am more than a little pleased with my new beautiful dress!
Some of you might remember that before I actually began working on this I had an idea that I wanted to make a ball gown out of pink silk. I discussed this plan with Elisabeth, and we contacted the company Simbra Siden (a Swedish silk shop and mail-order company ) and they sent us some samples of certain kinds of silk that I was interested in. They arrived and my plans of making a pink dress were quickly abandoned, because no sooner had I seen one of the fabrics then I was completely taken with it! It was a beautiful dark, ruby red crepe satin, very dramatic and so gorgeous!!! I decided to get it, and did. And you know a wonderful thing about it was, I didn’t have to pay a single penny! You see, as I am “studying” with Elisabeth I am enrolled in a school. And they offered to pay for the materials that I use during the time I’m there! Isn’t that amazing?!
So I got the fabric and soon started working on the dress. At first my plan was to make a smooth bodice, but after experimenting and trying some different ways we decided that some gathers worked better with this fabric. So I added quite a lot of gathers in the front.
I wasn’t quite sure what to do about the sleeves at first, I wanted to do something fun and different with them. But then we decided that more simple sleeves would be more elegant as this fabric is already so special. But they are actually not that simple; not only are they lined but there is also an extra layer in between the lining and the outer fabric. The fabric is not particularly stiff so it needed that.
I lined the whole bodice with the same fabric. An effect I really like!
When we came to the back closure we weren’t quite sure what to do. I didn’t want to use buttons, as I had that on my three other dresses. We discussed the pros and cons of various alternatives before I finally decided on lacing.
Then I added a waistband and a little bow in the back. And of course, a skirt! ;P
The whole thing is done entirely by hand (that’s the reason it took so long). I like sewing by hand, and the end result has a special feel to it I think. But after sitting for two days sewing through layers upon layers (that’s what it felt like at least) to make the gathered sleeves my hands had such a terrible cramp in them! But I am mighty pleased with the result!
So here are some pictures, quite a few I admit. I liked how the pictures turned out, (thank you mama!) so…
By the way, you can see my new gloves too!
Some “silly pictures”
This outfit really isn’t made to be worn walking in muddy fields…
Closer view of back-lacing
And of bow
Here you can see how it is lined with the same fabric
And then just this picture because it really shows how much “life” there is in this fabric. It is so shiny and wonderful! It has such a delicious feeling to it! Love it!
So yes, there is my dress that I have talked so much about. Finally ready and waiting to be worn! I can’t wait myself! I am working on a little bag/reticule to go along with it. Might share some pictures of that once it’s done too.
Thanks for looking everyone, and I hope I haven’t bored you with too many pictures now! But I’m so in love with this dress I couldn’t help it…! 😛