Sewing, the way Jane and her characters did

I received another lovely new book a couple of days ago from Amazon (now isn’t that nice of Amazon to just send me books?! :P)! Happy me! 🙂 This book is one that I’ve long wanted, ever since I was first told of it by a lady who works in a bookstore and who recommended it to me after finding out that two big interests of mine are sewing and Jane Austen. Jane Austen's Sewing BoxThis book is called The Jane Austen Sewing Box, (by Jennifer Forest) and as might be guessed by the title its a book about sewing in Jane Austen’s era. Just by the title alone I knew that I wanted to have this book! Sewing and Jane Austen! It can hardly get any better!

I found it a little strange that I hadn’t heard anything about this book before. It’s a new book and I would have thought that I should have heard about it somewhere at least…

Now, I haven’t actually read it yet. Like I said I got it a couple of days ago, and I honestly haven’t had any time at all for reading since then. But I’ve looked through it, and I can tell you that it is a beautiful book!

“Craft projects & stories from Jane Austen’s novels” is what it says it is on the cover.There are instructions for making 16 different craft projects, each of which are somewhere mentioned in the novels. Those things are: letter case, pillowcase and cravat, workbag, paper flowers, purses, huswife, carpetwork, muff and tippet, pin cushion and thread case, transparency, bonnet, reticule, knitted rug and muslin cap.

There is like a chapter for all of these different things. A chapter with historic information about the item in question, how it was used and what it was made of and why (at least that’s what I believe, but like I said, I haven’t actually read it yet…). There are quotes from the books where it is mentioned, and then a couple of pages of instructions of how to make the thing yourself. So as a craft book I don’t really know if it’s the best, but it is indeed uncommonly beautiful! There are plenty of pictures. Pictures of Regency style things, small details, fashion plates and paintings. And the whole layout of the book makes it look very pretty I think.

Jane Austen's Sewing Box

Jane Austen's Sewing Box

Jane Austen's Sewing Box

Jane Austen's Sewing Box

Jane Austen's Sewing Box

So even if I don’t know how much use I will have of it as a craft book I am sure that I will enjoy it very much anyway! And I can’t wait to get around to reading it! We’ll see if I post more about it, once I actually know what it’s about… 😛

10 Responses to Sewing, the way Jane and her characters did

1. Devine says:

Hi Aurora,

That does look like a lovely book!

2. Claudia says:

Hi Aurora!
    I’ve found your blog surfing the web and I think it’s lovely! I’m an Italian Jane Austen fan – addict, I actually should say – and enjoyed your journal, very nice indeed. Beautiful gown! I”ll come back to visiy you again soon.

Warm greetings (from Florence!)

Claudia

Hello Claudia,
    I am so pleased to hear that you found your way here! Thank you for your kind words about my blog! I am happy that you like it!

So you are from Florence? Will you be attending the Jane Austen weekend there in May too?

All the best,

4. Claudia says:

Good morning Aurora (it’s early morning here and I’m starting my working day), I’ve heard of the Jane Austen week-end but unfortunately I’m not going to join it, ’cause I’m not free from work and other business. I hope I’ll attend it next year (if I won’t move). Are you by chance going to Florence? If so, tell me! Have a nice day! 🙂

I’m sorry to hear that you will not be at the event. Yes I am going to Florence. I will be there from the 20th to the 25th of May I think. For the Jane Austen weekend. I am greatly looking forward to it! I have never been to Florence before, so I can’t wait to go! 🙂

6. Good blog you have here.. It’s difficult to find high quality writing like
    yours these days. I seriously appreciate individuals like you!
    Take care!!

7. Normally I do not read article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do so!
    Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice post.

8. Mira says:

Where you could buy all you need for the residence you are
    welcomed by us to a place. We are about executing company with
    your company really serious and proudly invite one
    to watch our present collection. In case you have any questions do not wait to contact us.
    We are not unhappy provide any extra info you need.
    Thanks for visiting with our website it’s our delight to offer you the
    most effective Indonesian furniture at through company’s costs.

9. Merci pour votre article qui m’aide à y voir plus claire.

10. I’ve been reviewin online more than 6 hours today for http://koreatech21.com/xe/board_oGKF73/793750 & Sewing, the way Jane and her characters
    did, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site
    owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.