It has long been my intention to make myself a Victorian corset. But I never got around to ordering a pattern for it. And I was convinced that I needed a pattern. However, after a long time I finally gave up and decided to go ahead and make one anyway. So I did. Since I didn’t have a pattern I searched for some instructions online, there weren’t many, but I did find some. And with that and the aid of some photos I found I managed to come up with this:
Since this was very much an experiment, I had no idea how it would turn out, I didn’t want to spend so much money on it. And I didn’t, I didn’t spend any at all! The fabric I used I already had in my stash, and then I used some of the boning I had too. This boning was plastic, and it shouldn’t have been that I suppose. But oh well. And then you’re supposed to use busks for the front, but I didn’t have that. So I decided to try and create something myself. I consulted my dad, and he suggested I’d use some of this metal thingie we had lying around.
We bent these bands, and they worked splendidly!
There are several things that I would do differently if I were to make another one (or when I make another one I should say). For example, I would make it smaller. Because as it is now I can wear it tightened as hard as it can be tightened. And that’s not so good. But once again, oh well. For an experiment I am happy with it! And you know what, it is actually really comfortable to wear! 🙂
And so here are a few more pictures. My sister Viktoria was kind enough to take these for me.
The chemise and the drawers that I am wearing I have not made myself. I bought them somewhere and I don’t know how suitable they are for this. But it works ok I think.
I tried climbing a tree, but the outfit wasn’t the best for it… ;P
Now I’m busy working on another Victorian dress. I am almost done with the skirt by now, and I am so far extremely pleased with it! I’ll share some pictures once that one is finished. 🙂