Book list :)

I don’t know if you remember, but a while ago (quite a long while ago) I posted a list of the 100 “best books of all time” according to a survey The Guardian had done…?

A few days ago we went to Uppsala and took the opportunity to visit our favourite bookshop here in Sweden, the English bookshop that they have there. Upon arriving there we were at first a bit shocked; ’cause the shop was gone! Luckily though it wasn’t actually gone, it had only moved half a block or so, and it was now twice as big! Yay! 🙂

books
Anyway, why I brought that up was because there they had this list, the one I posted before, on the wall. It was fun to see it again, I had totally forgotten about it. I liked that list though and wanted to see if there were more lists like it out there. A quick search assured me that there are plenty!!! I didn’t read them all, (far from it) but I did read this list of 100 most loved books that BBC published a few years ago: BBC – The Big Read
Now on the previous list Pride and Prejudice was number one, on this one it wasn’t. It was “only” number two… 😉
One thing I like about reading these list is that you get so many good suggestions! Out of this list I had read 29 I think, so plenty more to go! One I’ve been wanting to read for quite some time now is War and Peace. I’ll just have to get it first, and the time for it…
books
Now I know this is really hard (at least I think so), but if you were to put together a list of your top 10 books, which would those 10 books be? I would love it if you would leave a comment and let me know! They don’t have to be in any specific order, unless you want to of course! 🙂

7 Responses to Book list :)

1. Aleksandra says:

Leaving out Austen my favourites are:

1. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
    2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
    3. Wilhelm Meister’s Apprenticeship by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    4. Forrådt (english: Betrayed) by Amalie Skram (late 19th century Norwegian author – she’s marvellous)
    5. The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber
    6. Amtmannens Døtre (english: The Distric Governor’s Daughters) by Camilla Collett (mid 19th century author reckoned Norway’s first feminist)
    7. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
    8. Constance Ring by Amalie Skram
    9. Albertine by Christian Krohg (Norwegian, late 19th century bohemian painter/author, this is his only novel which is a classic tale of a young seamstress forced into prostitution. The novel was banned immediately when it was published in 1886 and Krohg arrested.)
    10. The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (yes, I love angst)

2. Karen says:

Oh, what a difficult list to do! There are so many books I love that is difficult to select only ten! Well, I considered all Harry Potter series and all Jane Austen’s books in only one position each; so, I got this list:

1- All Jane Austen novels, with emphasis in the novel “Sense and Sensibility”;
    2- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, with emphasis in “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”;
    3- “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley;
    4- “Dom Casmurro” by Machado de Assis (in English it’s “Don Casmurro”);
    5- “Princess Sultana” by Jean P. Sasson;
    6- “Vidas Secas” by Graciliano Ramos (in English it’s “Dry lives”);
    7- “Murder in Mesopotamia” by Agatha Christie;
    8- “The Secret Garden” by Frances H. Burnett (yes, this is more a book for children, but it’s so lovely! Its moral lessons are useful for the whole life of any person);
    9- “The Diary of Anne Frank”, by Anne Frank;
    10- “The Hound of the Baskervilles” by “Sir” Arthur Conan Doyle.

I am half way through “War and peace” and I love it! You must hurry up and get hold of it 🙂
    As i find it very difficult to choose a favorite Austen, I will leave them out. So besides Jane Austen some of my all time favorites are:

Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë
    North and South – Elizabeth Gaskell
    Wuthering Heights – Emily Brontë
    War and Peace – Lev Tolstoj
    Lord of the Rings – J.R. Tolkien
    Harry Potter series – J.K. Rowling
    Chocolat – Joanne Harris
    Blackberry Wine – Joanne Harris
    Anne of Green Gables series – L. M. Montgomery
    Watership Down – Richard Adams
    Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
    Gone with the Wind – Margaret Mitchell
    The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
    Smilla’s Sense of Snow – Peter Høegh

Okay, that wasn’t exactly ten…but it is very difficult!

Oh wow, thanks for the lists girls! That’s fantastic! Many of the books you listed are ones that I have read and love too, but there were also many that I haven’t, some I haven’t even heard of! I now have so many more books that I need to read! 😀 And not all of them were English books, that’s nice. Nearly all the books I read are English it seems, now and then it’s fun to read something that is originally from another country! So I liked that. 😉

Malene – now I’m even more desirous to read it!

5. Viktoria says:

Couldn’t possibly go for just one book by several authors…. My list would be something like this (in no specific order):

1. all the books by Jane Austen
    2. books by Georgette Heyer
    3. My Life by Bill Clinton
    4. Influence by Robert Cialdini
    5. the Scarlet Pimpernel books by Baroness Emmunska Orczy
    6. books by Julia Quinn
    7. Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
    8. A Room With a View by E. M. Forester
    9. the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling
    10. books by Elizabeth Gaskell

6. Amos Akafo Asare says:

I’m a Bookbinder,Please contact me.

7. Ana says:

Some of my favourite books (in no specific order):
    Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling