A very random post of this and that

So my dear friends, today I sit down at the computer with absolutely no idea of what I am going to write. I have no plan for this post, only the feeling that it is time I write something. So I cannot tell you where this will lead to.

There, I’ve given you fair warning now, so let us proceed.

I do believe that at long last we have left winter behind us. It has been the most gorgeous and splendid winter you could possibly imagine! Since October the ground has been covered in a thick layer of glittering white snow, some days being so beautiful it just completely takes your breath away! There is nothing quite like a cold clear sunny day, with the temperature below -20 (Celcius) and snow everywhere, no words can really discribe how stunning the world looks on such a day! But after a few weeks even such beauty begins to lose some of it’s charm, and I am very pleased to report that spring seems to finally be here now! Most of the snow is gone, when you are out in the sun you can actually feel warm even without a jacket! Outside the window by which I am sitting now I can see birds hopping about on the ground with little twigs and other building material in their beaks. I just hope they don’t forget to be on their guard in their busy work, for I know there are three fluffy four-legged creatures who have basically been refusing to go out all winter (yes, I will admit, we sometimes had to carry them out, to make them at least walk all the way back to the house!) and now can’t seem to get enough of it! Running around with their tails held high, chasing each other up trees or just basking in the beutiful sunshine. Yes, I do indeed believe spring is here! πŸ™‚

Prinsen, Othella & Tsaritza

Just to give you a hint who those three fluffy four-legged creatures are. πŸ˜‰

Looking out the window again I now spot a beautiful pheasant hiding in the big bush outside. He is often here, likes to spend his days there. He seems to be sleeping, but I don’t believe he is in much danger of the afore mentioned threats to little birds. I know for a fact that those three fluffy ones hold him in the highest respect, and are rather afraid of him. So I think he may sleep there in peace.

Yesterday I got the urge to do some sewing again, brought out a bunch of different fabrics from my stash (which is in desperate need of being re-organised, as for some reason all the fabrics seem to have a way of ending up in a big mess, with the one I need always furthest down! I don’t know how it happens! I’m sure they do it while I’m asleep or not looking! ) and told my mom I needed opinions. She has a skirt, a very nice little skirt which both she, my sister and I all equally like. And I decided to try my hand at making one like it. We decided upon a fabric and I got going. To my extreme pleasure it was both easy, quick and fun. By the end of a couple of hours I had new skirt that I was very happy with. Such a change from the previous sewing project I did!

I will tell you that the reason why I made that skirt wasn’t only beause I felt like sewing. It was also because a couple of days ago I found the most fantastic boots ever! Having long been in search of a good, nice pair of boots my happiness on finding these was great! They are perfect and I can’t stop saying so every time I walk past them where they are standing now! Luckily my family know me well and merely smiles at this quirk of mine.

So of course I needed a new skirt! To go along with the boots! πŸ˜‰

Unfortunately our camera has decided it is time for a vacation. Whether or not it will ever return from that vacation I don’t know. Hopefully all that is required is a new battery, but we don’t know yet…

And now, just to prove that this post will really be a very random one (in case you hadn’t already noticed that) I will throw out a question for my readers out there; has any one of you been to the Charles Dickens museum in London? The reason I am asking is because I am planning a weeks visit to the beautiful England in April, to visit my darling sister there. And I am considering going in to London for a day or two, and hearing about the Charles Dickens museum I thought it might be something to do. So if anyone has been there, would you recommend it? Is it worth a visit?

Now I’m off to help prepare some lunch, so good bye my dears for now! I hope you are having a glorious day wherever in the world you are and whatever you are doing!

14 Responses to A very random post of this and that

1. Anna says:

Aurora, sounds like you are having a lovely day there!

By the way, I noticed your picture in the latest edition of Jane Austen’s Regency World magazine. πŸ™‚

2. Mrs. Darcy says:

The winter was indeed glorious! But, I must confess, even though I like this season so very much, I’m secretly begging for a little summer time. πŸ™‚

3. Kristina says:

Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons, but after a blizzard and then just a few days later more snow on top of the blizzard to equal apx 16 inches of snow I’ve been dying for summer! But alas, we just keep getting teased with it. Going from 70* F to 30*F overnight!

Adorable ‘fluffy four legged creatures’ πŸ™‚

4. Isabel says:

Aurora, I have been to the Dicken’s Museum, it was a while ago though so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I didn’t think it was amazing but it was quite interesting, and a good way to wile away an afternoon. πŸ™‚ But it is in need of refurbishment, which they are currently raising the money for. After which it should be really good. πŸ™‚

Haha, yes indeed Anna, I was in the newest edition of Jane Austen’s Regency World! My friend Karen wrote that article and she informed me that I would be in one of the pictures. Otherwise I would have had a real surprise when I got my copy of the magazine! πŸ™‚

I’m with you on that Mrs Darcy! A little summer (or a lot even!) would be quite welcome now!

Kristina – just like you I think there is nothing wrong with a little fall and winter. They are lovely seasons, but IN MODERATION! We were all getting so anxious for spring to arrive we tried to persuade ourselves that it was here long before it was. Yet another blizzard and more freezing cold weather showed us that we were mistaken however…

Thank you Isabel for telling me your memories of the Dicken’s museum. Much appreciated! I think I saw something on the website about them planning to refurbish it, just like you said. Maybe I’ll just wait with going there until that is done.

6. Kristina says:

The state I live in has very ‘flip-flopy’ weather (lol that’s the only way I know to describe it) On Monday it was 80* F here and a lovely Spring Day….
    Today its around 30* and very windy and cold (more like winter)
    I’m thankful we don’t have another blizzard tho! I hope you get Spring type weather very soon!!

7. Elinor says:

I know this is random but I just wanted to let you know that I finished my Jane Eyre dress and I went to see the movie today:D
    oh and were I live (in northern north America) we had a good thaw last week and then got more snow this week, so annoying but I’m sure it’ll be all gone soon enough anyway, April starts a week from today!

Haha “flip-flopy” weather is a very good way to describe it I think! Perfectly explains what it’s like!
    We have been having lovely weather the last few days; sunny, and warmish, though a little windy. Yesterday we were visiting an island where we used to live in the Stockholm archipelago, and there the weather was completely crazy! One minute sunny and nice, the next minute stormy and cold, then sunny and warm again and then it started snowing before the next minute becomming sunny again! It made me think of a Mark Twain quote: “In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours.”

Well Elinor, what could possily be more suitable for a random post than a random comment? πŸ™‚
    I’m thrilled to hear you have finished the dress! So how did it turn out? Are you happy with it? I probably said this before, but if you want you are very welcome to send me a picture, since I’d love to see it!
    You are right, April is just one week away! I hadn’t thought of that! Wow, then spring really IS here! πŸ™‚

9. Kristina says:

Thanks! Thankfully we haven’t had any more snow, although I was awakened at 5am this morning by a hail storm, our second this week… If it snows again I think I might mutiny πŸ˜‰
    Wow!! That is a lot of crazy weather!! Reminds me a bit of Kansas… lol
    And an awesome quote…

I also feel I must mention that I finally got to watch Pride and Prejudice (2005 version) last night (and I made my Dad watch too) and we both just loved it! Now I find that I really must read the book, for the book is always better than the movie πŸ˜‰
    My Dad complained that the movie ended far too soon, as he wanted to see the wedding and see if the crazy Aunt showed up to protest πŸ˜‰

Hopefully you are enjoying more springish weather than I! πŸ™‚

10. Elinor says:

haha! very true!
    It turned out very well, of course the process was not without its headaches but other than the back and hem it was mostly pain free , I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! it’s so much fun to wear! ever since I was a little girl I wanted to make/wear historical clothes so Ive been wearing it whenever I’m home!:D
    I would love to send pictures! should I email them to you?

A hail storm? Oh no! Today it snowed here… But it’s already gone! πŸ™‚

How nice that you’ve seen Pride & Prejudice now! And well done getting your dad to watch it too! I know several dads (including my own) who really like P&P. πŸ˜€
    I don’t think you will be surprised at hearing me say that I think reading the book sounds like an excellent plan! Now you know what a fantastic story it is, and believe me, the book is soooo good! πŸ˜€

Elinor I’m so glad you are so happy with it! Finishing a sewing project is always nice, but finishing one that you absolutely LOVE, now that is wonderful!! Very few projects I find are completely devoid of headaches and little problems, but just as long as they are not too bad and it all turns out well in the end, it doesn’t matter so very much.
    Yes please do send me an email. If you’d send it to this address: aurora@myaustendreamworld.com, that would be great. Look forward to seeing it! πŸ™‚

12. Kristina says:

As if the TWO hail storms weren’t bad enough, we actually got SNOW yesterday!! (Ok so it was a TINY bit, but it’s the principle of the matter that counts!) I find myself wondering if I shall ever get Spring weather πŸ˜›

Dad’s actually already started reading it, last I checked he was on Chapter 5, at this rate he’ll overtake me! πŸ˜› I’m trying to finish up “The Vampire Lestat” by Anne Rice before I move on to my next book because I’ve been trying to read the Vampire Chronicles for quite some time, but always get distracted πŸ™‚ P&P has gotten added to my ‘to-read pile’ which I confess is rather large as of late :-/

I pray you are having better luck with the spring weather than I am πŸ˜‰

13. Elinor says:

Ok I will as soon as I get my camera charged.

14. Elinor says:

Or I just started a blog recently and put the pictures on there so you could see them that way, I started the blog in feb. but was unmotivated to post anything until a couple days ago so I don’t have any followers yet but I intend to do more with it soon here.