40′s dress! :D

I’ve got another sewing project to share with you now. My 40′s dress! :)

I bought the wonderful Sense & Sensibility Swing Dress Pattern a few years back, as my sister was in need of a 40′s dress for an event that she was attending. And ever since I made that one for her I have thought that sooner or later I would like to make one for myself as well. It’s such a pretty style, and (as I keep reminding everyone) it is also a style that, whilst still historic, can be used for more everyday occasions than say a Victorian dress can. So as you see, it is quite practical actually!

So a while ago I decided to go ahead and make myself one. I had this (I thought) very suitable fabric lying around in my stash, a pretty dark green fabric with white polka dots on it, so I decided to use that one.

I do not have a lot to say about the process of making this dress. It was fairly straight forward and (thankfully!) without complications. The only thing was that I completely lost my inspiration there for a while and the dress ended up lying in a crumpled little pile next to the sewing machine for a few weeks before I managed to find my inspiration and get going again.

I made hardly any alterations to the pattern, just used it as it was, and I am glad to say I’m very happy with the result!

40's dress

40's dress

40's dress

I love how you tie the dress in the back and get a pretty little bow!

40's dress

40's dress

40's dress

In this picture you can see the gathers at the shoulder well. I like that little detail.

40's dress

I also had to do a lifting logs picture. :P I now perfectly understand why people who work in forests don’t wear nylon stockings and high heels!

40's dress

40's dress

And here is a picture where you can better see the dress

I’m really looking forward to wearing this dress when the weather gets a little warmer! Hopefully I can find a nice occasion for doing so. :)

Thanks to my mom for taking the pictures for me! I will soon get started on the dress I promised to make you! :D

14 Responses to 40′s dress! :D

1. Atlanta says:

I love it! The syle and color are great on you! Beautiful work, as always! ;)

2. Isabel says:

It’s beautiful. I love 40′s dresses. :)

3. Kristine says:

Oh, how I envy you your ability to sew! Just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing this with us.

4. Aurora! You sew lovely as usual! :D And I love the fabric, such a vivid color of green and white polkadots! :)

5. Jennifer says:

Very nice dress, Aurora. I like the fabric, too.

6. Raquel says:

Aurora,

if you lived near me, I would implore to you to sew this lovely dress for me!

Thank you all som much! I am so glad to hear you like it! :)

Raquel – if I lived near you I would be happy to do that! :)

Great dress! I love the stye of the 40ies as well :)

9. Elinor says:

lovely dress Aurora! Ive been wanting that pattern for some time 0′s dress patterns, now I just have to wait until I can afford more more fabric, (I’m still recovering from the price of my victorian dress).

10. LadyD says:

The dress looks great. you can’t beat polkadots.
    Instead of risking your nylons you could try gravy browning and eyelining pencil for authenticity.lol

It is indeed hard to beat polkadots! I have actually made three dresses from this pattern with polkadot fabric. This dress for me, one for my sister and one for my mum. We have all come to an agreement that we canot wear them all at the same time, we’ll look like we’re in some kind of uniform! haha
    Browning my legs with gravy certainly WOULD be rather authentic, but I confess it is not overly tempting if I’m honest… ;) But it definitely would be an experience!

12. LadyD says:

I’ve always thought fake tan would do the job without smelling of roast dinner. lol!
    Do you do any swing dance? I’ve been learning lindy hop.

I think you are right. And I think I’d prefer doing that! Though I always think it is fun to try doing things the way they would have actually done it back in the days, some things just go too far! lol
    I did lindy hop for a few months when I was staying in England. It was lots of fun and I really enjoyed it. I haven’t danced for several years now though and don’t know how much I still remember. But it would be so much fun to do swing dancing actually wearing a 40′s dress! That is something I have yet to try.

14. LadyD says:

Maybe you can come over for a dance workshop or a lindy exchange. Get a chance to wear your dress.
    I always try to dress the part.