It gives me great pleasure to welcome you all to….

….my SEWING ROOM!!!! That’s right, I have a new sewing room! Or sewing ‘studio’ as I like to call it.

Up till this point I have done all of my sewing in a part of the dining room that I have taken over as mine. I had a table with my sewing machines on and then I had the rest of my sewing stuff in other parts of the house; my fabrics in a wardrobe upstairs, other sewing equipment in two different places in the house, ironboard stored away…. So doing something is always a big project. And I confess that when I do a project, the dining room always becomes slightly chaotic. So you can understand why I was dreaming of having my own sewing room. And now, that dream has come true! At least it’s true for some 5 months or so. The reason for that is that my new room is in the attic/loft of a smaller house of ours next to this one. And it is not insulated (I believe that is the right word) so I will not be able to use it once the weather turns too cold. So then I don’t know what I will do. But until that time comes I am planning to use and enjoy this room as much as I can!

Since my mom first suggested I take this space and use it I have been very excited about the idea! There was some work to do on it. First emptying the space of all the stuff that was there, and then fixing the wall which had some very big holes in it in places (I think we did a splendid job at that Jake!) and then bringing in all the things I would need up there. Putting up shelves, going through all my fabrics and folding them (and I even threw a few things away! I am very proud of myself for doing that!), sorting all (alright, some) of my sewing things etc, etc. And now today, it’s done! And I am a very happy girl!

So here are some pictures for you to see.

My Sewing Room

My sewing room ๐Ÿ˜€

My Sewing Room

My Sewing Room

My throne. Quite necessary for when I’m doing any sewing by hand and don’t want to sit on a hard chair

My Sewing Room

Chest of drawers, now full of threads, patterns, ribbons, scissors, etc, etc…

Flowers

Some beautiful flowers

My Sewing Room

My fabrics, now finally neatly folded

My Sewing Room

Sewing machine and serger (which I got for Christmas!), I will have a pretty nice view while I do my sewing

My Sewing Room View

My view!

I thought I would write a little thank you speech here now, to thank all those who helped me make this possible. So here we go, in true Oscar’s style.

Mom – for first coming up with the idea for this and for being a constant source of ideas and opinions when I need them.

Dad – for helping me put up those shelves and fixing electricity cables. And for being the one I turn to when I have something practical I need help and advice on.

Jake – for coming to my aid and offering to help with the walls when everyone else was deserting me.

Grandma – for buying me that chest of drawers and the mirror.

Aron – for helping me carry heavy things up the stairs. And for not taking over my new room with all your Warhammer figures… yet… ๐Ÿ˜›

Prinsen and Tsaritza – for keeping me company when I was working on the room (though knocking over that pile of newly folded fabrics that I had stacked so neatly was really quite unnecessary! And my darling Tsaritza, I know you think the bumblebees are great fun, but they do not like being chased around! And even though I think you are one of the cutest things on the face of the Earth, I seriously doubt the poor bumblebees agree with me)

Viktoria – thank you for being such a great sister (I know, this is not really relevant to the process of creating this room, but I didn’t want you to feel left out of my speech)

Thank you all for putting up with me for years occupying the dining room with my sewing. And thank you for never being mad at me for spreading pins all over the place. Not even when those pins end up stuck in someones foot…

You guys are the greatest and without you this project would not only have been a great deal more difficult to complete, but also a great deal less fun. So thanks!

16 Responses to It gives me great pleasure to welcome you all to….

1. Isabel says:

What a stunning view from your window! Perfect inspiration for sewing. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. maria says:

Oh, I’,m happy too you finally have your own space to create in! And honored for being acknowledged like this:)
    I’ll sneak in and use your big empty (well, when there are no patterns laying around) floorspace for doing my yoga ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Atlanta says:

How wonderful!! It’s always inspiring to have a fresh new space in which to create!! yay-ee!

Holy guacamole! You have so many fabrics!! (*swoons*) ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Congratulations on your new sewing room ๐Ÿ™‚
    I use the dining room when I sew, too, which means I can only sew when I am alone in the house. So annoying… And my dog is always tripping in the power cables to the sewing machine and iron :/

5. Emily says:

Lovely! I wish my house had space for me to have a sewing room. At the moment the best I can do is the basement playroom, which, like yours, is just too cold in the winter!

6. viktoria says:

wait, wait, wait, WAIT……..you’ve got a PINK lamp???!!!!!!!!! where did you get that from?????
    awwwwwwwww, thank YOU for being the best sister in the world too!!! and thanks for making sure i didn’t feel left out ๐Ÿ™‚
    btw, your new room looks F A B !!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Elinor says:

Very nice:)

8. Francine says:

It looks verry nice. You have a great view.

Francine

9. Congratulations on your new sewing space. It is wonderful to have a place that is “all yours” and especially important for me with 2 children taking most of my time. Your post has inspired me to do my own “sewing studio” (converted guest room).

Kathleen

10. Jennifer says:

Aurora,
    Congratulations on getting your own sewing studio. Awesome! Have a great time there.

11. Anon says:

WOW…this jake person sounds like a real hero almost like a modern day jesus, and may i say that the newly built wall in your new room looks fantastic!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you all!

Mamma – I *might* let you do that. Occasionally ๐Ÿ˜‰

Malene – yes my collection of fabrics keeps growing. But even so it seems like when I am going to make something I STILL always have to buy some new ones….
    Ah, I can understand that! People and pets. One thing which I found most annoying was how my table would always end up being filled with stuff that everyone dumps on there. But no more! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viktoria – yup I have a pink lamp. You jealous? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Den รคr kรถpt pรฅ backluckeloppis i Julita.
    Aww, thank you dear! <3

Kathleen - yes it is wonderful! I can imagine that with children like you say it is even more important. Hope you do do your own sewing studio! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anon - Oh he is! A real hero, my sister is so lucky! And yes, the wall is amazing!
    hmmm... why do I get the feeling that a certain Mr Clay wrote that comment...? ๐Ÿ˜‰

13. Anon says:

Oh does this hero of the modern ages have the fortune to be courting your sister then?? well i must check this Mr Jake Clay out on facebook, I’m sure he’s as handsome as he is smart!

Yes he does indeed. Fortunate man! You should most definitely check him out Jake! Oops, sorry, of course I meant mr Anon ๐Ÿ˜‰

15. Sanna K says:

Hi Aurora! I’m happy to have found your lovely blog! I just adore this room… Such a lovely view, you must enjoy sewing there. I also dream of my own sewing room… Living in a small apartment, I don’t have much space here :/

16. ellen says:

Please see http://www.regencybydesign.co.uk to see details about our Festival and Grand Costume Ball inclusing a Jane Austen Gothic Soiree at an English manor house and tea in the garden at Tennysons birthplace at Somersby –Also visit Ellen Eley or J.A.S.E. on Facebook soon