War and Peace

Sometime in the beginning of the year I wrote a list of different things I wanted to do over the coming year. And one thing on my list was; read War and Peace. I have long wanted to read that book (ever since it occured to me that it is set during the Regency era), but… well… it is a bit of a brick! And, from what I had heard, not an easy read. But I still wanted to read it. However it took a good friend of mine (I think you know who you are ๐Ÿ™‚ ) telling me how much she had enjoyed the book to actually get me to go out and buy it and start reading.

That was a while ago, and now I have just finished it, last week.

So what can I say that hasn’t been said about it before? I don’t know. I will join my voice with all those who have already sung it’s praises, all those who claim it is an epic masterpiece. It is. The book has an immense list of characters, it is stuffed completely full of historic details and has long parts describing and philosophising about the events and the people who marked this time in history, and its got a good story. I have never read a book by Leo Tolstoy before and I didn’t know what to expect. But I can now safely say that I am very impressed by him. He is a great writer and writes in a captivating way. I several times emerged from the pages at the end of a chapter surprised to find myself in my bed, and not on a battle field in Russia!

Much as I liked the book and much as it fascinates me, it still was a bit of a challange reading it. I can now confirm together with all those who have said it before, it is not a light read! But am I glad I read it? Oh yes!

After finishing it I announced to my family that they were going to have to join me in watching yet another long costume drama. No one complained. ๐Ÿ™‚ We watched the 2007 version, and I must say I thought this too was very good!

It is over 6 hours long, but even so there is no way of course they can include everything that is in the book. But I think they did an impressively good job with it anyway.The actors were very close to what I had imagined the characters to be, something which is definitely not always the case, and they managed to capture the story well.

Now to go raving on about one of my favorite topics here;, the costumes. Oh my! Heavenly! So beautiful! There were a great deal of white dresses (something which provided the inspiration I needed for the new gown I am working on…), very pretty, and as for the men, well they provided some of the most extravagant uniforms I have ever seen in a film of this era. Very elegant, though I wonder how practical some of those things really are…? There was a lot of fur in these costumes, which I am not so used to seeing, but the climate in Russia would make such things necessary. I suppose it must have been the same in Sweden. There were even fur lined bonnets! And very pretty ones too at that! Hmm, maybe I should make myself one of those for winter…?

The whole film is very visually stunning. The houses are grand, to say the least! They make Pemberley seem rather snug and cosy in comparison! And they make me want to go to Russia!

So yeah, I loved it! And so did the rest of my family.ย My brother Aron is a guy of few words. He doesn’t like to useย superfluous expressions where a simple word will suffice. And he doesn’t praise things more than he absolutely has to. So when he, after we had finished watching this, said “and I thought War and Peace was going to be boring!” I take that as a sign that he liked it. ๐Ÿ™‚

*Sigh*

13 Responses to War and Peace

1. Cedrics Mom says:

If you enjoyed War and Peace, you will love Anna Karenina. At just over 800 pgs, it will seem like a novella compared to War and Peace.

How long did it take you to read War and Peace?

YAY for W&P! ๐Ÿ˜€

I still haven’t watched the 2007-version, but I really must get my act together now! And then I want to go to St. Petersburg!

3. viktoria says:

wow, Aron said that?? High praise indeed (and I’m not being sarcastic!)!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Isabel says:

ooh it looks amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t wait to see it!

I want to go to St. Petersburg too – see the Hermitage – Winter Palace *dreams*.

5. Andrew says:

I Love the 2007 version of War and Peace… it did need a bit of an update.
    ive watched so soo many times ^^
    I hope there are girls still out there like Natasha ๐Ÿ™‚
    the Uniforms are amazing! great inspiration for my next one !

-Andrew

Cedrics Mom – I think I will sooner or later have to read Anna Karenina. But I think I will take a *little* break before attempting that one… ๐Ÿ˜‰ But several people have recommended it to me lately, so I want to read it sometime.
    Well, I started the book in November or something I think. But then I didn’t read it very actively in the beginning and I read several other books at the same time. It was only the last few weeks where I read it a little more concistently. So yeah, it took me some time…

Malene – you should see it! It’s very good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah I know Viktoria! It WAS high praise for being him!

Isabel – ah yes I know exactly what you mean! I’m dreaming of seeing the Winter Palace too!

Andrew – I haven’t yet seen any of the other versions of it, but as I have understood it was in need of an updste. And I think they did it so well!
    I agree with you about the uniforms, they’re amazing! Some of the best I have ever seen! So what sort of uniform will your next one be? I hope you’ll share some pictures of it, once you get it! ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Andrew says:

well Im thinking a French Hussars Uniform similar design to Nicolai’s uniform and definitely Prince Andre’s White Russian ‘Chief of staff’ jacket too ^^

8. Andrew says:

I also had to go to Bath on friday for the tests for the army.
    so i was in the heart of Georgian/regency England… including the place where jane Austen Lived ^^
    I had to go and take a look.
    I was told every year they celebrate their ‘Georgian’ town and everyone dresses up and walks through the streets of the old part of Bath!!!!

Sounds very nice! I particularly like Prince Andrei’s white uniform, that is a great one!

Oh I’m glad you got to go to Bath! It is a beautiful city, isn’t it?! I think it is always so special to visit places that, like Bath, played a part in Jane Austen’s life. And Bath is just a fantastic place!
    I’m actually going there in a little more than a weeks time, on the 16th. I’m going there for the Jane Austen festival and am really looking forward to it! Are you going to go there?

10. Andrew says:

When I was there I took a few leaflets on it at the information centre. I am very tempted, however my uniforms are back in New Zealand and I may struggle to find a sutler to make me up something in time. but i could still go anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

That’s too bad that you haven’t got the uniforms. ๐Ÿ™ I hope you decide to go anyway, it’s a really lovely event! Maybe I’ll see you there ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Andrew says:

Well I’ve persuaded one of my Napoleonic reenacting mates to go with me so fingers crossed we’ll be there. I’m going to borrow some of his kit so split between us we should resemble soldiers ๐Ÿ˜›
    U’ll spot me any day in the crowds as I’m 6ft 4″ so hopefully I’ll see you there!

Oh that’s great! I’m so glad you are going to go! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’ll keep a look out for a very tall soldier then. I shall most likely be wearing a white dress with a blue Spencer jacket, and then some sort of bonnet. Not quite as easy to spot I dare say. See you in a few days then maybe! ๐Ÿ™‚