A year full of Jane Austen events! I hope…

Yet another year gone past and here we stand again, at the beginning of a new one, looking ahead, wondering what this year will contain! Personally I hope this year will, for me, include lots of wonderful events to travel to! There are so many wonderful events spread out all over the world, all through the year!

On March 24th there is the annual Regency Exhibition Ball in South Bend, Indiana. I’ve wanted to go to this event ever since the first time I came across information about it, it seems so nice, and people I have talked to who have been there have all said they loved it! Sadly the organizers of this ball have been losing money the last couple of years, and so there is a risk that this years ball will be the last one! Which would be a terrible shame and a loss to the little community where this ball is hosted. But with enough guests attending the ball could be saved! So I hope anyone who is in the search of a good ball to go to will consider this one! I would love to go myself, but unfortunately due to various things in my life right now I don’t think I can go over to Indiana in March. But I do hope this ball can be saved, because one year I want to be there! So spread the word, and if you can go yourself, I hope you do! More information on their website here.

Another event I hope to go to one year is the Jane Austen festival of Australia. Over the years I’ve heard a lot about this, seen lots of pictures and videos from there, and (no surprise to anyone) I would love to go! This year the festival will be 12 – 15 of April and will include all kinds of fun workshops and talks and (of course!) balls! Have a look at their website and see if you are not tempted!

An event that I do plan to go to this year, if everything works out as I have planned, is this years event in the Florence area in Italy. You may remember I was there two years ago, and loved it. Last year I didn’t go, but this year I really hope I can! It’s a Napoleonic Weekend in Lucca, Tuscany and will include visits to various grand houses (in costume), dance workshop and, obviously, a grand ball!

And then there is an event I am dying to go to! Or go on I should say. In July there is to be a Jane Austen Cruise!! That’s right, a trip on a cruise ship with the theme Jane Austen! Leaving from Southampton in England the cruise is 8 days and sails via Holland, Gurnsey, Spain and France, and then back to England again. And on-board there will be a costume promenade, discussion groups, talks, teas, a ‘film festival’ and a Gala Ball!! I like the sound of it, *fingers crossed I can go*! For more details look here.

In Spetember obviously there is the Jane Austen Festival in Bath. After 3 years of going to that there is no way I am missing out on this years! So the 14th to the 22nd of September is already booked in my calendar, those days I will be in Bath! Unless something completely unforseen happens that is.

Those are just a few of the many events happening, and there are so many I wish I could go to! Have you got any Jane Austen or other historic events planned for this year?

However that is, let me just take this opportunity to wish you ALL a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Wherever in the world you are, whatever you are doing, may it be a wonderful one for you!

11 Responses to A year full of Jane Austen events! I hope…

1. Isabel says:

It’s amazing! A cruise trip is the last type of holiday you would imagine would be Jane Austen themed, but it sounds fabulous! I soooo want to go on it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’d love to go to the Festival in Australia as well, also the one in Louisville in the US. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Emily says:

I’ve been to the Regency Exhibition Ball in Indiana three times, and I was devastated to learn that it might be coming to an end, especially since it’s the only Regency ball within a reasonable distance from where I live. I’m doing my best to recruit friends to go with me, though without much success yet – one “sorry, can’t make it”, one “maybe”, and two still waiting for a reply. I really hope it’s able to continue – especially if I might meet you there one day!

3. Pingback: Met Jane Austen de zee op « JaneAusten.nl

I agree Isabel, not at all the kind of thing you’d expect! But it sounds like so much fun! I really hope to go, and it would be sooo much fun if you could go too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Aww Emily, I know, I haven’t even been to the ball, and still I was sad to hear that it might be the end of it! But let’s keep hoping it won’t be, and keep spreading the word about it and then maybe one day we’ll meet there!! ๐Ÿ˜€

5. Elinor says:

A Jane Austen Cruise!? that sounds absolutely fabulous!!!
    I was just in Australia for three and a half weeks, actually not just there Ive been home for over two months now but it seems like only a week! anyhow I wished I could’ve gone during the festival however I wasn’t the one planning or paying for the trip so it wasn’t really up to me.
    I do plan on attending it on my next trip there, though that wont be for at least a couple years as its not at all a cheap trip.
    It will give me plenty of time to make lots of lovely outfits though ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Thilda says:

Hi Aurora,

I discovered this link by pure chance when i was looking for a historic pattern for a 1930s Sweetheart Overall and 1920s Dress. The Overall was my first sewing project( I took 40 hours ;-)) in a sewing group from a master tailor who is working at the Theatre in Germany. She is so nice and so experienced in historic fashion that is is always a pleasure to work with her. Although i prefer the 20s Style (sometimes I assume that I was born in the wrong century) :-), I love the Empire dresses very much, and I also love Jane Austen films so I consider to change my to do list and my next project will be a Regency dress. I will see.
    Your Empire dresses are really lovely. Congratulation! In my country they offered a lot of Swing partys and Speakeasy but not festivals like in Bath. It is so sad that Janes Austen Festivals in Germany will not take place.
    Thank you for your beautiful blog.
    Warmest Greetings from Germany.
    Thilda

Elinor – I know right?! I think it’s a splendid idea!!
    Oooh how jealous I am now! I want to go to Australia too! I hope you had a really great time there (which I’m sure you did!)! I was there 7 years ago (goodness! Is it really 7 years ago?!) and liked it very much. One day I hope to go there for the festival too!

Hi Thilda,
    Welcome to my blog, and may I just say I’m so glad to hear you found your way here ๐Ÿ™‚
    Wow, your sewing projects sound lovely! How fun to be working with and learning from someone who is so expereienced at working with historic fashion! I would love to see pictures of the outfits you make!
    I know exactly what you mean, many have the times been when I’ve seriously questioned if I was born in the right era. My current big fascination is the first part of the 20’th century, particularly around WW1 and WW2 and the 50’s. Oh and the early teens as well! I really must make myself some new outfits!
    Sadly Sweden doesn’t either offer a lot of events or anything at all in the style of the Jane Austen festival. Which is one of the reasons I’ve gone to the one in Bath. And I love it! Maybe I shall see you there one day ๐Ÿ™‚
    Best regards,

9. Thilda says:

Hi Aurora,
    You are welcome to show my pictures. May I send you them to this e-mail address? <aurora@myaustendreamworld.com<
    I got the pattern from this link, but I assume it is current sold! http://www.kostuemkram.com.
    In the meantime i decided to sew a regency dress, because:
    I will go to Lucca in June :-D.
    I think that would be marvelous!
    Best regards
    Thilda

Hi Thilda,
    Yes please do send them to that address! That would be lovely to see!
    Thank you for the link, I shall definitley check that out!
    Ooooh! You’re going to Lucca?! That’s fantasstic!! Hopefully I’ll see you there then! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Best regards,

11. Thilda says:

Dear Aurora,
    I found the link for the pattern as mentioned.
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Sorry for bothering you PC with a lot of pictures

Best regards and a lot of sun in this cold time

Thilda