Bath part 2 – Grand Regency Promenade

So, to make up for last posts lack of photos I have now made a rather picture heave post here. I was going to include the evenings ball in the same post, but after seeing how many photos I ended up chosing for this I think I’ll split them in two. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Saturday morning came and to everyone’s delight and relief it was NOT raining! It was a lovely dry though not terribly warm day. Perfect for a promenade in other words. We all got into our parading outfits (for the first time I wore an outfit I’d already worn to the promenade, the same one as last year. Will make something new for next year thought, promise) and headed over to where we were to start.

Jeanette and Isabel, with the rest of my group behind them, walking towards the start of the promenade

Rob and Claire

Albert, Lyze and Rob walking along the Circus

The start this year was from the Royal Crescent where in previous years we have usually ended. So it was almost a reversed route to what it was the first years I was there. I love the moment before we actually start walking, everybody gathering around and meeting and greeting each other. After so many times attending (this was my 5th time in case I haven’t already mentioned that haha) I now know or recognize quite a few people there so it’s such fun to just run around saying hi to all those people I haven’t met for a year perhaps (or more). One of my favorite parts of the festival!

Gathering at the Royal Crescent

Me and Alexia

Me and Justin

We then set off. I didn’t quite know who to walk with, my friends were spread out all along the line of promenaders, and I wanted to walk with them all! So in the end what happened was me and my good friend Isabel ran up and down the line walking with these people here for a little while and then those people there. Was rather a good solution I thoutght.

And we’re off. Note the line of photographers along the road, as always

The young gentleman to the right in this picture is called Darcy as a first name. Really. His mum, as you can imagine, is quite the Jane Austen fan ๐Ÿ˜‰

One always has to include a picture of lace parasols. Just because.

Like last year we ended the promenade at the lovely Parade Gardens (I believe it’s called….? For some reason I can never completely remember this). It is such a nice place. And it has the advantage of you having to pay to get in normally, so the general public (in other words, those not in costume) don’t get as close with their cameras. Not that I mind posing for photos or tourists asking questions, of course not! It’s part of it. But it is kinda nice in a way to just be all us costume people in one place. The tourists stand along the walls with their cameras instead haha.

Now isn’t that a fine-looking group of people?!

Oliver and Robert posing for photos with a lady. I have to say gentlemen attending are probably the ones who have to pose for most pictures!ย

I have no idea who this couple is but I just love her pelisse!

Ok, I admit, I do like to take photos of people in costume from behind. I just think there is something that looks so nice about it.

Possibly the one to rival all the gentlemen in being the most photographed participant would be this little chap. I so admire Jennifer for bringing her adorable little boy to take part in this. When/if I have children of my own I am so going to do the same!

The Sense & Sensibility costume group. A lovely group of people!ย

It was a lovely promenade, as it always is. And it grows every year it seems. I don’t know the exact number of participants, I’ve heard accounts ranging from 450 to 600. So I would guess somewhere in between those too. ๐Ÿ˜›

After all that it was time for lunch, and what better place to have lunch than at the gorgeous Pump Rooms? Beautiful room, good food and delightful company, what more could you ask for?

The rest of the day was spent looking through the Regency fair at the Guildhall (I found the most gorgeous hat that I really wanted to buy but it was a tad bit too pricy.. I will atempt to make something similar myself instead I think), having tea at a charming little vintage tea room and then heading back to where I was staying to get ready for the ball at the Assembly Rooms.

10 Responses to Bath part 2 – Grand Regency Promenade

1. Quinn says:

AHHHH!!! So jealous of your attendance at such a lovely, wonderful event. I am sure it was delightful to meet and greet people you know and people you almost-know via the internet. Thanks for sharing all the photos! All of the places look fabulously wonderful.

Best,
    Quinn

2. Jane Candell says:

Hello Aurora!
    I am the lady in a dark-blue pelisse, I believe) Thank you very much for the compliment!
    It is very nice to read your reports, they are so interesting! You can really describe the atmosphere of the Festival!
    Your blog was the source for my friend Anya Oleynikova to know about the Farthingale ball. I suppose you do know her and some other people from our Moscow delegation. ))

Oh it’s you in the pelisse! How lovely! I did meet Anya but I don’t believe I got introduced to you. As you may have guessed I really love that pelisse you were wearing. Did you make it yourself?
    I’m glad you are enjoying my reports ๐Ÿ™‚

4. LadyD says:

It looks fab. And much more people in costume than in 2012 when I went. I hope to go again in 2014. Takes me a while to save up. Been talking to a friend of mine about going.

5. Tracy says:

I found your blog earlier this year while researching the Jane Austen Festival Promenade. I enjoyed your posts about sewing dresses and especially appreciated your honesty about feeling doubts about your costuming abilities, etc. in a recent post.
    I attended this year’s Promenade with my mother and daughter. Originally I’d thought that my daughter could dress up and join others in our tour group while my mom and I watched from the sidelines. But my daughter’s enthusiasm for creating a costume swept us up and we all joined the Promenade, representing three generations in Regency dress. That was FUN!
    Thanks for sharing your photos from the Festival. It’s wonderful that you were able to see so many friends from previous years! If I am ever able to go again, I’ll look for you.

6. Priscilla .W says:

I absolutely loved looking at all of these beautiful pictures! All of them were simply lovely and to see you in the midst of all the festivity made me smile. What a fabulous group of people to share this experience with in Bath! I really must see if we have any Jane Austen groups, societies, or events here in California. I’d love to attend something similar to this right here at home. Your blog has inspired me to do a bit of research and become more involved.

Thanks,

Priscilla .W

Tracy thank you for your comment! I am so glad you are enjoying my posts ๐Ÿ™‚ What a lovely thing to go three generations to the festival! I would love to do something like that at some point too! I’m so glad you had a good time, if you come again I really hope you will come up and say hi if you see me!

Priscilla, have you found anything in California? I know there are events happening over there I have friends there who keep attending events and dressing up (my frieds are mainly in the LA and San Diego area though. I don’t know where in CA you are). I could contact some of them and ask them if they know of events if you would like. If you can’t find anything. Let me know! ๐Ÿ™‚ There is this event I know of which you might have heard of? http://janeaustenevening.org/

9. QNPoohBear says:

I was there too! I wasn’t in costume, but I watched and took many many photos. I thought I caught everyone but I don’t see you or your friends. You look lovely. You can check out my blog to read about my experience as a first timer at the Jane Austen Festival. It was a lot of fun and I hope to go again one day and perhaps I’ll bring a costume.
    (look for the tag Bath)

10. Jane Candell says:

Hello, Aurora! Excuse me for such a long delay with an answer! No, it is done by my seamstress. I took a model from a fashion plate of the Regency period, chose the fabric and trimming…) And she did all the difficult work!
    Hope we’ll get introduced to each other next time! ๐Ÿ™‚ Nice to have you in my friend list on FB, too.