Hello! I hope you’re all having a lovely Saturday! I’m having a relaxed morning at home, got up and made some scones when I woke up (they turned out so so) and ate them in bed with a cup of English Breakfast tea and a light and easy to read chick-lit. I’m alone home for the weekend so might go out and meet up with a friend this afternoon.m
This week at school has been busy, we’re working on skirt supports (aka hoops, panniers, bustles etc.) right now and one thing I can say for sure, they are big and cumbersome!
I thought I would share some pictures of the things I’ve made so far at school, but I’ll split it up into a few posts and start from the beginning with the first items I made (even though I don’t think they are the most exciting ones). So first out for us to do was the “unmentionables”; underwear.
As I said before with this year we are going to be making one complete women’s outfit and one complete men’s one, so we had to decide on what time period we want to do for our outfits and we could choos any point between 1500 and 1912. For my women’s outfit I have decided to go for the latest possible, 1912, and for my men’s one I am doing a ca 1790s. But even so a lot of the time we are asked to do two things for each stage, like one early and one later. Which is why for this one I decided to do one early 1900s combination and one early 1700s shift.
The combination (which for those not familiar with the garment is a combined shift and bloomers sort of) I wanted to do lots of details on, because excisting ecamples from back them usually had that. So I used lots of old lace I had in my stash and made lots of pleats and tucks all over it.
Full front view
Back details (and yes, I can see that it needs a proper iron..)
Pleats on the shoulder
Lace, lace, lace…
I’m not 100% pleased with it I can’t say. I thought the pleats would be a nicer effect than I thought they were in the end. It’s alright but next time I’m definitely going easier on the pleats 😛 The lace however I love!
The second garmet as I said is an early 1700s shift (though to be fair it could pass for quite a long period as this garment didn’t really change that much so quickly). The reason that I chose to do this period was because Andrew and I have been talking about getting into some early 18th century re-enactments here in Sweden, the Caroleans to be more precise (he is actually off right now to an event in Estonia for this, but I’ll tell you more about that later). So I thought since I was making something anyway I might as well do something I could have some use of and that I might actually need.
By itself it isn’t much to look at. Rather plain really. But it’s a beautiful linnen material and most of it is done by hand, you know, just because I wanted to 😛
Sleeve detail. I’m so happy I had all this old lace that I could use! I mean if you want to buy lace today it’s really hard to find anything nice and delicate looking which isn’t very plasticy.. 🙁
And this is what it is like with the stays I made on top. I’ll show the stay and my corset in the next post I write 🙂