MY Hornblower on the East India Company ship Götheborg

If anyone every happens to find themselves in Göteborg one of the things I think you should try to go and see is the beautiful East Indiaman ship the Götheborg.

Like many countries back in the 17-18th century Sweden had its own East India Company, sailing back and forth to China bringing home rare and exotic goods from the orient to the people here in the cold north. One of the most famous of these ships was one called Götheborg and, not surprising bearing in mind its name, it was from this city.

That ship is obvioulsy no longer around (it sank, just off the coast of here) but 10 years ago after many years of planning and building a project was completed, a replica of this ship. This ship has since sailed all over the world, quite literally, and it is possible to travel with it as it does. It is quite fantastic really, and what else is fantastic is that the home port for it is pretty much just across a bridge from where we are currently staying.

When I see these colors I can’t help but feel patriotic!

Andrew has always had a big interest in ships, and ones like this one especially. Ships from the Georgian/Napoleonic era, both naval and other are something he loves. So for him it was quite a big thing to get to go on this one. He started off with doing a couple of volunteering weekends onboard, and has after that gone back again and again helping out as a volunteer with all the work. There is a lot of maintanence to be done before it goes off on a long voyage again, and before winter completely sets in. So he has beenhelping out tarring the rigging, painting and whittling, scrubbing off rust and de rigging the whole ship. And he’s loved it!

Much as I would love to travel on this ship I honestly don’t know if I would have the guts to climb up those riggings. It’s a long way up, and it’s an old-fashioned style ship, imagine it in stormy weather out at sea… :/

I just really wanted to show you this beautiful beautiful ship, and one day we went there with our good friend Clarinda who kindly took some photos for a “Hornblower photo shoot” we did of Andrew. Because of course he had the uniform and sword, and there are not so many places where you can take photos in such a authentic looking setting!

Isn’t he handsome??! Plus I have a weakness for that particular uniform!

S.O.I.C. = Svenska Ostindiska Companiet

10 Responses to MY Hornblower on the East India Company ship Götheborg

1. Quinn says:

Goodness! So handsome! His legs go on for miles. Tall people’s legs often do. He looks great! And what a fun photo shoot. I’m sure those will be memorable pictures and that he’s also making great memories by taking care of the ship.

Best,
    Quinn

2. LadyD says:

How fantastic. He looks just the part. You should make a matching female nautical inspired outfit for yourself. 🙂
    I’m a fan of the hornblower tv series myself.

3. Dorte Kreiberg says:

What a fantastic ship and opportunity both for Andrew to help at the ship and have these fantastic pictures taken. The day I saw you were back blogging and you posted a picture for Gøteborg I also found a postcard my father had sent home to his parents in Denmark with at picture take at the same place. The postcard is from the early 1950’s when my father sailed on ships around the whole world. 🙂

4. Sarah W says:

Han ser helt perfekt ut, vilken lycka att både få jobba (även om det är som volontär) och leka på en sådan plats. Rätt miljö är verkligen viktigt för att få även de vackraste och mest historiskt korrekta kläder att verkligen komma till sin rätt.

Jag gillar också tanken på att åka med ett sådant skepp, men jag hade nog bara vågat en kort liten resa, till England eller så….

5. Priscilla .W says:

Lovely pictures and Andrew is quite handsome too in the photos. Take Care

6. Priscilla says:

Cool!

7. Hi Aurora! I’ve just come across your site and think it’s adorable. This is a gorgeous ship and gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more posts from you soon!

Thank you all, I’m glad you enjoyed the post 🙂

Wow Dorte that sounds amazing, that your father sailed ships around the world! I’ve dreamed of doing something like that, even though I am not much of a sailor…

Sarah, jag håller med dig. Älskar tanken på att åka med ett skepp som detta, men sen när jag står där på och tittar upp i masterna och inser att man faktiskt måste klättra upp där, mitt ute på havet, kanske i mörker och storm, då har jag plötsligt lite svårare för tanken….

Hi Hannah! Welcome to my blog and thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I’m so happy to hear you like it here! 😀