About

The most important (and I dare say obvious) thing about me in connection to this blog is that I am a devoted fan of Jane Austen and everything around her and her books! To read about my personal “discovery” of Jane Austen’s world please follow this link: http://myaustendreamworld.com/?p=80.

Appart from that I can tell you that I am an 26 year old Swedish homeschool graduate with a big passion for singing, playing the piano, sewing and reading, dancing and traveling and many other things. Right now I am living in Göteborg (Gothenburg, Sweden’s second largest city) together with my New Zealand boyfriend Andrew while I am doing a two year course at a school here on “Historic Dress and Costume for the Stage”. So consequently this blog will feature quite a lot of sewing projects, but also movies and tv-series, events i attend, estates we visit and whatever else strikes my fancy to write about.

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you will enjoy your visit here and honour me by coming back soon again!

Most sincerely,

61 Responses to About

1. Rae Honey says:

Hello Aurora

I have had a great time reading your blog! I too am a fan of Jane and have been since I was very young.

I was born in Bath and lived for 9 years in Brock Street, the road which joins The Circus to the Royal Crescent and loved to immerse myself in the architecture that Jane, and many of her heroines, would have seen.

Although my family still live in and around Bath, I now live a more country life in Devon (about 150 miles away).

My friends and I call ourselves “The Bennet Sisters” , as our names before marriage was Bennett (with 2 “t”s!). My niece is an “honourary” sister, as she is only one generation removed from the Bennetts! So, the four of us are attending the Fesitval in Bath this year and have been busy making our dresses and trimming our bonnets. We have had such fun and are looking forward to taking part in the Promenade and World Record attempt. My husband and son are also dressing up and i can’t wait to see how they look – I think my husband will resemble Mr Knightly in Emma (the version with Kate Beckinsale, not Gwyneth Paltrow), but with shorter hair thankfully.

Although there will be loads of people there, you never know, we may meet!

Take care and keep on blogging!

Regards

Rae

2. admin says:

Hello Rae!

How utterly delightful to hear from you! I always so enjoy “meeting” fellow Jane Austen fans! Thank you for stopping by my blog!

I will not deny that I feel a little bit envious of the fact that you were born and grew up in Bath! It has become something of a Holy place for us Janeites hasn’t it?! 🙂 I have had the pleasure of visiting Bath on two occasions already, and it is a place I should not mind getting to know better. As indeed I will have the opportunity of doing, come September!

How wonderful that you are going to the festival together with all your family! I will be attending the Promenade and the World Record attempt as well, and it would be lovely to meet you! Do you know what you will be wearing? So I can keep a look out for you there. 🙂

All the best,

3. Karina says:

Hey Aurora!
    Wat een geweldige site! Ik ga je dagelijks volgen 🙂
    In ieder geval had ik een vraagje. Ik ben namelijk ook een enorm Jane Austen fan, alleen zoals je je kan voorstellen kan ik mijn passie niet met mijn vrienden delen, omdat ze daar niet geïnteresseerd in zijn. Nu vroeg ik mij dus af of je zin had om kennis te maken (gewoon online hoor, tenzij het natuurlijk echt klikt). Zodat wij misschien allerlei info en vragen konden uitwisselen en gewoon lekker over Jane Austen babbelen.
    Groetjes,
    Karina.

4. Rae Honey says:

It would be great to meet up! I will be wearing a cream gown with a green paisley over-dress, straw hat with green silk crown. One of my “sisters” will be wearing a yellow gown with turquoise shawl, another will be wearing red and white stripes and the third will be wearing a chocolate and pink stripe spencer with a chocolate brown hat with pink ribbons! Unmissable!!! What about yours?

5. admin says:

Hello Katrina!

Thank you so much for your comment, I’m very glad to hear that you enjoy my site!

I must admit that I’m not so well versed in Dutch, but with the help of a translator I was able to read your message. 🙂

I understand what you say about not really being able to share your passion with your friends. It can sometimes be hard. I am fortunate enough to have several friends who (although not perhaps as obsessively as me) share my passion.

It would be a pleasure to correspond with you and get to know you and exchange thoughts and chat about this wonderful author, as well as many other things I am sure. Why don’t you contact me on this e-mail aurora@myaustendreamworld.com.

All the best,

6. admin says:

Rae Honey, all your outfits sound so pretty!!! I will keep my eyes open for you.
    I will probably look something like I do in the picture on the header of this page. I’ll be wearing my new white/cream gown with my chocolate brown velvet Spencer. Then I will also wear a bonnet of some kind. I’m not quite certain how that will look though, since I am hoping to make a new one.

How fun! See you then!

7. Rebecca says:

Hi Aurora!

My name is Rebecca stricker and I am from virginia in the USA and I also am an avid Jane Austen fan! I came across your blog on the sense and sensibility patterns forum. I am ladyann on the forum. I am also going to the Jane Austen festival. So I will keep an eye out for you in your beautiful outfit! I am going on the sense and sensibility england trip and then to the festival. So I will be with my sister and Mrs. Chancey. I will be wearing a white sheer dress and a light green spencer and a brown bonnet all hand made by my lovely sister. So I will try and find you and can’t wait to meet you!

I love your blog and your reticule by the way! Even though its not the thread you intended to use. I made a white reticule for the festival as well.

Rebecca

8. Rebecca says:

Oh and my sister will be wearing a peach gown and a brown paisley shawl and brown bonnet with a bow and feathers and she has red hair. So look for the red hair and it would probably be the two of us. I have brown hair.

Rebecca

9. admin says:

Hello Rebecca!
    Thank you for your comments! How lovely to hear that you will be going to the festival too! I am quite envious of you for going on the costume tour though. 😉 I really wanted to go, but there were not enough spaces. But I am more than contented to be ‘only’ going to the festival.

Your and your sisters outfits sound so pretty! I will absolutley keep my eyes open for you there! I have had contact with Mrs. Chancey and I will be meeting up with the group for the promenade. I shall probably see you then!

Looking forward to it!

10. Scott says:

Hi,

Just thought i’d drop you a line to let you know i’ve uploaded my photo’s to Facebook http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38828&id=1249371994&l=2e6010bcdf

See You

Scott

11. Francine says:

Hello Aurora,

Ik love you’re website! I’ts so nice. And the dresses. In January i’m going to make my own dress. I never did it before. So I hope ill do it right. I’m going to follow you’re blog.

Kind regards Francine

I’m sorry for my Englisch

12. admin says:

Hello Francine,

I’m very pleased to hear from you! And glad to hear that you like my site!
    How lovely that you plan to make yourself a dress! I wish you the best of luck with it! I would be delighted if you’d like to perhaps send me a picture once it’s done. If you’d like to, please use this address: aurora@myaustendreamworld.com.

All the best,

13. Francine says:

Hello Aurora,

We start in January with making the dresses. I’ll send you picters from start and when it’s finishd.

Kind Regards,

Francine

14. Shannon says:

Hi! My name is Shannon, and I am a homeschool junior from Tennessee in the USA. I am not only an avid Jane Austen fan, but a fan of almost everything about that era too; whether it is the styles, the history behind it or even English Country Dancing (a particular favorite! 🙂 ), I love that era!
    It has been so nice to read your blog! I love finding blogs, such as yours, written by other homeschoolers around the world!

Have a wonderful evening, and God bless,
    Shannon

Hello Shannon,
    I am delighted to hear from you! It is always so nice to hear from “like-minded” people (and we certainly seem to have a lot of things in common) and to hear that my blog is appreciated! I see you have a lovely blog yourself! One that I will take pleasure in looking closer at!

All the best,

16. Amzi says:

Hey there!

Have just found your blog, and am smitten!! I’m currently obsessed with the idea of doing what you do. 🙂 I unfortunately have next-to-no experience sewing. But I long to try my hand at it. Lack of funds mainly stands in my way. 🙂 Keep posting about your dressmaking! So gorgeous! I’m homeschooled too and love piano and singing and reading, etc. Check out my blog if you have time. 🙂

Amzi

17. Emily says:

Hi Aurora,

I’ve been following your blog for several months now and decided it was time to introduce myself. I’m also a homeschool graduate (as a matter of fact, I found your blog because it was mentioned in Home Education Magazine’s interview with your mother!).

I’m obsessed with the Regency and with Georgette Heyer, although of course I love Jane Austen too. I want to be a historical seamstress – I would love to have something like your lessons with Elisabeth! I’ve made one Regency gown with help from my mother, and there are vague plans in the works for a fancier version.

I’m so envious to read about all these Regency events, especially the Jane Austen festival in Bath! We just don’t have enough of that sort of thing in this part of the US. I long to go to Bath for the festival someday – in the meantime, I’ll just have to enjoy it vicariously through your lovely blog!

Emily

Hello Amzi!

Thank you for writing to me! I am sorry about my slowness in answering, but I am afraid my blog has been awfully neglected this last week or more…

I am thrilled to hear that you like my blog! And it sounds like we have quite a few interests in common.

I have checked out your blog just briefly so far, but it looks really lovely so I’ll make sure to visit it again to have a more thorough look around. 🙂

All the best,

Hello Emily,

Delighted to hear from you!

So you found my blog through the Home Education Magazine?! That’s great! I must admit that when I saw the link to my blog there I was rather surprised, I wasn’t aware that my mom was going to put that in there! But I’m glad she did. 🙂

Well I must say I agree with you, Georgette Heyer is fantastic! I love her books! I haven’t read all of them yet, but quite a few. Finished one just a couple of days ago. Do you have a favourite out of them? My favourite one is Cotillion, closely followed by Devil’s Cub. 😛

There are indeed quite a few Regency events out there. More than I thought there would be, which I’ve found now that I’ve begun researching this area more. I don’t know what part of the US you are from, maybe you could get in touch with the Jane Austen Society of that part and ask them if they know of anything…? And yes, you should come to the festival in Bath! It is amazing!!!

All the best,

20. Kimberly says:

Your blog is amazing. I enjoy it more than I can say. I love the Regency Era, among others in British history. I have recently began sewing, and my third major project is a Regency gown. I am making a muslin so I won’t be afraid to make a few mistakes. Looking at your dresses is inspiring. Thanks 🙂

Hello Kimberly!

Thank you for your comment! I am very happy to hear that you like my blog!
    How fun that you are making a Regency gown! They are amazing dresses I think! Have fun with that! And I hope you’ll find some good place where you can have the opportunity of using it as well.

Ah yes, making one out of muslin first is a very good idea! I think I did that too the first time.

All the best,

22. Emily says:

Hi Aurora,

I’m from Wisconsin – there is a branch of the Jane Austen Society for the state, but they’re based several hours from where I live. I’m hoping to go to the Regency Masquerade Ball in South Bend, Indiana that’s mentioned in your sidebar. I had been going to go to a ball that that same group was doing in March, but it turned out to be the same day as my sister’s last choir concert before she graduates… sigh.

It’s hard to pick just one favorite Georgette Heyer! I would probably have to say The Unknown Ajax or Black Sheep. I love Cotillion too (Freddy’s such a sweetheart!).

Emily

23. Chloe says:

Hello!

I came across your blog while looking for Regency gowns. I must say that I love your blog and have read all of your posts!

I noticed that you knew about the Regency Masquerade Ball that was in SouthBend, IN and wanted to let you know that it will be held again in March! I found out about the ball in August, but it was entirely too late for me to attend! I will attempt to attend this time, though!

Here is the link to the date and information!

It seems to me, that they will be holding it every March and August of the year! I really do hope they keep this tradition going.

Chloe

Hello there!

I’m thrilled to hear how much you enjoy my blog! And I’m quite impressed that you read through all my posts! Thank you for that! 🙂

Oooh, I’m glad to hear the Regency Masquerade Ball will be a yearly event!And twice a year! How nice! Maybe I can go to one of them one day then! I hope you get to go to it, and if possible you are very welcome to share some pictures with me. 🙂 If you want to.

Talk to you later.

All the best,

25. Dorese says:

Hi Aurora,
    Just started reading your blog after looking for vintage blogs, and although I may not have been a Jane Austen fan before (I’ve only read Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion) I am now! Keep updating, it’s always fun to read a new post!
    I currently live in california but am trying to plan a visit to finland and sweden, any places that i ABSOLUTELY have to visit? Would love to hear from someone who lives there, so any tips would be great! thanks, now i’m off to read Sense and Sensibility!!
    dorese

Hello Dorese,
    Glad to hear from you! And I am very happy to hear that I have helped to turn you into a Jane Austen fan! 😉
    How fun that you are going to visit Sweden and Finland! I shamefacedly admit that I have myself never been to Finland yet, so I cannot give any advice when it comes to that. Sweden I am more familiar with!
    When are you going to come over here? What time of the year? And how long are you going to stay for, do you know? And do you have any places already decided where you are going? The first place I could think of was Stockholm. It’s a beautiful city, and I think it’s well worth visiting.
    I’ll have a think about any specific places, and if you let me know some more what your plans are I can see if I can help out more. 🙂 You could also send me an email if you prefer.

Enjoy Sense and Sensibility!

27. Mrs. Darcy says:

Hello,

I just discovered your – yes, I’m telling the truth! – amazing blog! Thank you so much for it.

From Finland, respectfully yours,

T.

Hello Mrs Darcy!

Thank you so much for your comment! How nice to hear from a fellow Scandinavian, and I am so happy to hear you like my blog! 🙂

All the best,

29. luisa says:

hi i love yr blog me and my best friend always make tea parties and my mom made us some gowns and dresses acuallty my mom made me a red gown like urs the same and i love it thnx

30. luisa says:

i just lovce the log but do u have any regency hair dos?

Hello Luisa,

Thank you for commenting!
    Tea parties with friends sounds simply lovely! I wish I had friends who live close enough to me so that we could have tea parties now and then too. And how nice of your mother to make you some dresses!

I don’t have a great many Regency hair-dos suggestions, but there are a few different tutorials on theses sites:

I hope you find something that works for you!

32. Alexandra says:

Hej

I love your blogg. Recently found Jane Austen`s world and love it. Started sewing and knitting with “Emma” on my mind. Hope to have a hall collection soon. Hoppas du förstår min dåliga engelska 😉 Alexandra / Sverige

33. Rosi Casatti says:

Aurora,
    I’ve just discovered your site, and I loved! I’m a huge fan of Austen too.
    Congrats for the great work!
    Xoxo, from Brazil.
    Rosi.

34. Stephanie Michaels says:

Dear Aurora,

I have just found your site and am so excited to continue reading and learning the secrets it holds!
    I am also a 21, almost 22, homeschool graduate from the USA and have been a Jane Austen FAN from about 15! I Adore her works and the Era she lived in, Very Romantic I think 🙂
    I wanted to share this with you just in case you have never read or heard of it,but today my Father bought me a book titled “The lost Memoirs of Jane Austen” By Syrie James, I have only begun the first chapter and already I am intrigued!

I am looking forward to being a part of this site and all it holds!

Sincerly,

~Stephanie Marie~

Hej Alexandra!
    Thank you so much! And welcome to the world of Jane Austen! I’m glad you’ve found and fallen in love with it too! How nice that you’ve started sewing and stuff, good luck with it all!
    Och jag har inga problem alls att förstå din engelska, som förövrigt inte alls är dålig! 😀

Hello Rosi!

Thank you for your comment! I am so glad to hear that you like my blog! 😀

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you so much for your comment and your kind words! I’m so glad you found your way to my blog and that you like it!
    It sounds like we have a lot of things in common, we are both about the same age and are both homeschoolers, and both fell in love with Jane Austen at around about the same age. 🙂
    No I don’t think I have heard about that book, thanks for telling me about it! It certainly sounds very interesting! I’m gonna have to look it up!

All the best,

38. Libby says:

Hello Aurora!

I’ve been a long-time reader of your wonderful blog, but this is my first time commenting. All of your posts about balls in Bath have gotten me interested in early 19th century dance. I don’t expect you know of any places to learn Regency dance in Virginia, but can you recommend any books or online videos on this subject?

Thank you!
    Libby Gohn

Hello Libby!

Thank you for your comment! I am glad to hear my posts have inspired to you want to give 19th century dancing a go! I am afraid I have no specific books or videos that I know of that I could recommend. I know there are books available on the subject of danced from the 19th century and the Regency era, but I have never read any personally. I do however know about a website which is all about learning Regency dancing, I could recommend taking a look there. http://regencydances.org/about.php I am sure the people who run the website (who are very nice I have to say as I’ve had the pleasure to meet them at a couple of events) would know of any good books or possible videos if you should like to inquire.
    And then I don’t know where in Virginia you live, if this is at all anywhere in your neighborhood, but there is a group called We Make History who are primarily based in Virginia who organize many historic events and balls. You should take a look at what they have to offer! http://www.wemakehistoryvirginia.com/
    They seem to do balls and other events from all kinds of eras, but I saw they do have a Regency ball! http://www.prideandprejudiceball.com/ I’d love to go to that!

Hope that was at least a little helpful. I hope you find something that suits you, and please don’t hesitate to contact me again, if you have further questions or something else I could help with!

All the best,

40. Jean Judy says:

Aurora, I found your blog this morning and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading and looking at your fabulous pictures. I listen to Jane Austen audio books while I craft jewelry…I just finished Persuasion for the …well I lost count…and I really enjoyed your blog part 7 on the Pump rooms…so I’ll do Northanger Abbey again next. Thanks for an exquisite blog.

Hello Jean Judy! Thank you for your comment! You sound like a true ‘kindred spirit’!! I love how you say you listen to Jane Austen novels while crafting jewelry! Crafting jewlery sounds like lots of fun, and doing it while listening to Jane Austen books, well that just sounds amazing!!

42. Emily says:

Hello Aurora!
    I have just discovered your blog and it is such a marvelous colection of all things wonderful! I will be going to England for the first (but hopefully not my last) time and will attend some of the Jane Austen Festival when I travel with a group of ladies from Mrs. Chancey’s Sense& Sensibility tour.
    The pictures and stories you post sound simply amazing. I hope someday I can have half as many tales to tell from traveling!

Hello Emily!
    A fellow Sense & Sensibility board member! How fun! Glad you like my blog! I’m happy to hear you will get the chance to go to the Jane Austen festival this year, it’s so much fun as you will see for yourself! I didn’t know Mrs. Chancey was going to be doing the tour this year, what with having moved and things like that. But that’s great! Maybe I’ll see you in Bath then! 🙂

44. ellen says:

Aurora I have just emailed you. I also love to play music as I teach it and I have been editing some new 1820 quadrilles that have never been played before to play at my Regency Ball in May –I have emailed you the details

45. LadyD says:

Just stumbled across your blog. I’m going to Jane Austen Festival in Bath this year (2012) so was looking for info on what the dance workshops were like and your blog appeared. Its been very interesting reading. Maybe I will get to say hello to you there.
    p.s. I’m on S&S forum

LadyD, I hope very much that we’ll be able to say hello at the festival! Which part of the festival will you be there for?
    And how nice that you are a fellow S&S member! 😀

See you in September!

47. LadyD says:

I’m going to the promenade, luncheon, fayre and might pop in and see the plays. Also doing the dance workshop on the monday.
    I’ll be in a yellow and green floral print dress with a white open robe and a turban….Still got to get gloves and a feather for the turban. but have my green cameo broach.

I’ll be doing the promenade to (of course!) and go to the fayre. I didn’t get a ticket for the dance on the Monday, but might pop in if there are still tickets left. I’ll keep an eye out for you. From your description it sounds like a lovely outfit! I’ll most likely be wearing a dark blue long pelisse (in wool, that’s why I’m hopinbg for not TOO warm weather…) and some form of hat (which I still need to make) with white feathers. Lets see if we can spot each other! 🙂

49. LadyD says:

Thanks. I will look out for you and say hello.
    Your pelisse sounds nice. Yes I hope its not *too* hot either. I want to be able to bring my paisly shawl and with all that walking I suspect I won’t need it. lol!
    Although hope it doesn’t rain either.

50. Pingback: Jane Austen’s Old English Postal Mailbox: Has the Mail Changed in 200 years? | Digital Postal Mail Powered by Zumbox - Notes